Thursday 31 March 2016

Day 14 - Dilemma


So back bringing engine parts back in the house, so I figure even though I don't have the correct (according to the service manual) colour coded bearings in there, I figured I would go an measure the clearances anyway using plastigauge, and I'm expecting them to be totally out of spec hence the need for new bearings of the right colour code.


So...to my surprise - all the clearances are within spec!! In fact they are slightly on the tight side, around 0.038 but no way near the service limit of 0.050. But they're not below 0.020 which is the starting range according to the manual! So now I'm in a dilemma. My main bearing clearances all check out even though I don't have the correct colour coded bearings in there according to the markings on the crankshaft and crank case! So what to do! Shall I just reassemble the engine with the clearances as they are and see what happens? I mean surely if the plastigauge reveals the correct clearances then I'm all good right? What to do....



No comments:

Post a Comment