Friday 1 April 2016

Day 15 - Installing Piston Rods & Pistons


So after the dilemma I've been having about what to do with the main bearings I think I've decided what I'm going to do. I'm going to measure again the clearances using plastigauge, this time on the bottom and the top and also measure the crank pin bearing clearances, and if they check out (which I'm sure they will I'll be putting everything back together. So in preparation for reassembly, I've taken the piston rods from my new pistons that came in the post the other day and I'll put them on my old pistons. My old pistons are nice and clean and the rings I have have worn nicely to the cylinder bores so no need to change that as the end gaps are all within specs too, so I know the piston rings are good.


Below....disassembling each piston assembly and replacing the piston rods with new ones so that the rods and bearings match the new crankshaft I'm installing. One thing to note that with my old pistons getting the piston pins out on a couple of them was a real pain! had to hammer them out lightly with a plastic rod.


Below...measuring the outer diameter of my piston pins. Looks like they all check out.


So now my pistons all have nice new rods and are ready to go back into the cylinders. Let's give the cylinder upper crankcase a clean from all the old oil sludge remains and let's reinstall those pistons.


Below...number 1 piston installed and number 2 piston about to be installed. Piston Ring compressor from halfords works a treat. The IN mark on the pistons must be towards the intake side of the engine. IN = Intake.


All Pistons now all installed (below). I was actually hoping to have the crankshaft installed too and all plastigauged and measured. However before installing the pistons I wanted to clean the mating surface of the upper crankcase where it meets the cylinder head. In the below pic you can see it's all nice and clean and rid of all the old remains of the old gasket that was there. To clean I used a soft scotchbright pad so not to scratch or scour the surface. Wire wool, or anything too abrasive is a big no no!!



Tomorrow time for the crankshaft to go in and be plastigauge for and checked for proper crank pin and main bearing clearances before installing the transmission and getting the two halves back together.

No comments:

Post a Comment