Tuesday 22 March 2016

Day 7 - Drilling out attempt


So after doing some cleaning on the engine in the house I've concluded the house isn't the best place for working on an engine especially if you intend your house to be in a decent living condition without constantly cleaning up grease and oil. So I've moved the engine back to the garage and after purchasing an extractor set, I give it a try on the snapped bolt on the cylinder head. However I've also ordered a replacement cylinder head from eBay which is on the way so this is more of an experiment really, but if it fails at least I have a replacement coming.


I start off by drilling a 1mm hole, then a 2mm hole, then 3 until the extractor goes in nicely.


Unfortunately I found that the 3mm extractor has no real way to get any torque on it. Maybe I need a seriously small 3mm ratchet (if one exists) so I unded up trying pliers to squeeze as tightly as possible on there but even using some heat from a butane / propane Blow torch I've concluded thats a lost cause and I'm going to wait for the new cylinder head and fit that after cleaning it up.

I still need replacement pair valve pipes that connect to these holes and go out to the pair valve.

No comments:

Post a Comment