Thursday 17 March 2016

Day 3 - Exhaust Ports


I've been reading a lot about rust removal. I remember the last time I wanted to remove a whole load of rust from that old 125 I built a makeshift grinding box with 2 holes to insert your glove covered hands and used a dremel to grind away at a rusted part until it was shiny and clean again. The thing is I really didn't enjoy that and it was a huge pain and created tons of mess. So this time let's try a cleaner chemical method. So what better than...Apple Cider Vinegar! Apparently it makes a good derusting agent, although it's not the fastest and I'd imagine those headers are going to have to be submerged in there for quite some time before I see some decent results.


Although now in my attempt to clean those exhaust ports and the struggle to get decent clearance to sand it down properly, I discover another problem....


So these little (once chrome) tubes are coming out of the exhaust side of the engine and down to the pair valve. Notice that nasty rusted hole - that was most likely contributing to the nasty running sounding engine. So a new one of those is in order, but unfortunately I ended up snapping the top bolt off trying to get this out. So I give up for today and leave it for tomorrow. Whenever an unexpected problem occurs, I tend to give it a rest until another time - so now it looks like the engine has to come out after all. Sigh....

No comments:

Post a Comment