Thursday 24 March 2016

Day 9 - Splitting the Crankcase


So after getting my M20 x 1.5 bolt in the mail, I spend this evening giving it a go on the flywheel and using an Air Impact Wrench - screwed it into the larger thread into the flywheel and the thing popped right off! Easy! I stuffed some paper towel in the hole so I wouldn't damage the shaft it was sitting on.


So now from the clutch side of the engine we can get a good look at the oil pump and the little chain that drives it. You can also make out on the lower left the gear selector mechanism as you shift up and down through the gears, you're actually turning the little spindle with little pins sticking out (below)


Using some long nose pliers I was able to remove the clutch holder and the main gear. That's the gear that connects the crankshaft to the transmission. The rod underneath is the gear selector which would normally connect to the gear shift pedal.


So after removing the oil pump, removing the cam chain and its little slider and removing the timing cog (the little cog that looks like it's missing half it's teeth) I was ready to undo the crankcase bolts and pull the thing apart. It came apart pretty easy and it only took a light tapping of a rubber mallet to break the seal free. One thing to note was as soon as I pulled apart the crank case I noticed that the gear selector drum actually sits in the lower crankshaft whilst the transmission itself sits in the upper crankshaft. There are also 3 gear selector forks which are positioned just between the correct gears. I had the transmission in Neutral when pulling this apart and the transmission gears look completely centralised in neutral with the center selector fork going in the center gap and the other 2 going either side.


A close look at the inside of the upper crankcase. The underside of the pistons look good and it's nice to get a close look at the crankshaft itself. I'm still searching for a mashed up bearing or something thats caused all of those clumps of metal in the sump.


A close look at the 6 gear transmission. You can see how the gear sizes vary slightly from the input shaft and output shaft changing the gear ratios between the input and output shafts. Fascinating stuff.
However I noticed another clump of mashed up metal in the transmission section! So I have a feeling there is a bearing in there which has been destroyed. At least that gives me a clue as to where to look so it looks like I'll have to dismantle the transmission and examine each part very closely.


Below you can see the gear selector forks, and underneath those what looks to be a drum which resemble the inside of an old music box! Which different etched out patterns, so I'd imagine depending on the gear you select it positions the forks slightly differently so it engages the correct gears on the transmission.


Below we get a close look at the crankshaft and the underside of the pistons and connecting rods. I'll pull all those out and apart next. It'll be good to look at each piston closely and examine the piston rings and bearings.


A very educational session and really cool to get a close up look inside the engine and see all the inner parts for real. I think next on the agenda is more reading about how to service the transmission, and the pistons / connecting rods and crankshaft and bearings. I'd also like to clean the upper and lower crank cases on the outside and repray them with a nice engine Enamel. I must also remember that when unbolting the lower crankcase there are different bolts of different sizes that go in different holes so hopefully the service manual illustrates which size bolts go where, but incase they don't I've laid out the bolts in the order they came out of the lower crankcase.


No comments:

Post a Comment