Thursday 24 March 2016

Update


This isn't really any time spent working on this project, but just an Update entry whilst I wait for parts and bits to arrive. However I think it's good to write about what I've learnt during the 'downtime' sessions whilst I read through the service manual to better understand what I have to do next, but also gives a chance to clean up the garage as it's a total mess.

It's very easy to get out of control with tools and parts and bolts all over the place, and knowing me I will eventually forget what all the bolts are for and where they are supposed to go, so before I forget that, I decided to get myself some sandwich bags and put all of the different portions of bolts into separate bags - e.g. Clutch cover bolts, camshaft bolts, etc... and label the sandwich bags so that I know where everything is and it's all nicely stored in these little boxes. At least when I come to rebuilding the engine (whenever that will be) I know exactly where all the bolts and small pieces are.

But just to recap - the next stage is to remove the flywheel on the stator side of the engine, and remove the clutch housing on the clutch side - once I've done this I'm ready to follow the procedure to split the crankcase.

I was doing some research into how to get the flywheel off the rotor and it looks like there is a M20 x 1.5 bolt that can go into the fly wheel which you can tighten with an impact wrench which will cause it to push up against the rotor and hopefully release the flywheel. I was going to order a proper flywheel puller, but it turns out all I need is an M20x1.5 bolt to go in there with an impact driver and that should do the job. I'm going to put some plastic in between the M20 bolt and the rotor so I don't damage the rotor whilst it's trying to pull out the flywheel.


No comments:

Post a Comment