Wednesday 30 March 2016

Day 12 - Cleaning



Not much apart from cleaning has been done whilst I wait for more parts - specifically I'm now waiting for a new set of Piston Rods, another Crankshaft and Pistons. Hopefully they include the crank pin bearings and some piston rings. Although I'm thinking when I put this all together I shall use my existing pistons, but use the new rods that are delivered. This way I'm not putting rings or pistons back in that haven't worn to the cylinder the same way. But the below pic is number 2 piston that has been cleaned of all carbon deposits - to clean I just used a soft green scotch brite pad and some gunk cleaner.


I do a little experiment with Coca Cola, I've been reading that it's good for degreasing so I pour a whole load in a box and soak part of the lower crank case in it. It didn't really do anything so to clean that part I've resorted to using some wire wool (on the outside only!) and more gunk cleaner. A tiny little watch screw driver was also used to get into the tiny little crevises of the lower crank case.


The lower crank case section - the gear lever section after a night of scrubbing and cleaning. It's not looking too bad and is probably ready to be painted with the VHT paint I have.



No comments:

Post a Comment