Thursday 26 May 2016

Day 35 - Oil Pressure Investigation


So time to investigate why I might be getting low oil pressure. After pulling the sump I notice a few metal shavings in the oil strainer, and I also notice that the O ring on the pressure relief valve needs replacing as the rubber is very worn. It's a good thing I can do this stuff with the engine still in the frame....


Oil pressure gauge still hooked up - that'll be the first sign I will used to determine if I've fixed the problem or need to pull the engine again...


Clutch and oil pump parts laid out on the garage floor. It'll stay this way until I get new parts.


So this I think is the problem. I took apart the oil pump and noticed that the oil pump gears are very much pitted and scored. I've read this can definitely cause low oil pressure. So at the moment things are looking hopeful that I don't have to pull the engine and it's recoverable. A new oil pump is on the way along with the new O rings for the oil strainer and oil pressure relief valve as I never replaced these. Also it's worth noting that I never overhauled the oil pump when I was rebuilding the engine and made the false assumption it was all fine. How wrong I was!


Oil pump laid out...


So as for right now, not much I can do until new parts arrive which will probably be some time next week.

No comments:

Post a Comment