Thursday 26 May 2016

Day 34 - Tail Light and Oil Pressure woes


So I got this low cost LED tail light, which I initially thought stopped working but in fact stopped working when I hooked it up to the bike because I wanted to see how it compared to the old bulb tail light. However I realised that the tail light positive terminal was being grounded by the presence of an old style bulb.

New LED looks ok, and is fairly bright when on the tail light, and brake light seems sufficient, I'll have to sort out that rather large gap around the edges of the light.


So now onto the next issue. I took a 70 mile ride from London, and when I got to my destination I noticed the oil light was flickering slightly only at idle. I then went ahead and measured the actual oil pressure using a pressure gauge and the oil pressure was in fact quite low. The manual says that the pressure should be around 71psi at 6000 rpm, but at 6000 rpm I was barely registering 30 psi which is quite low. After some research about what could be causing this, and the main results coming back that it's most likely the main or rod bearings, I've decided to try and eliminate the other potential causes and check out the oil pump, oil strainer and pressure relief valve. So I've pulled the sump and had a look inside the engine and overall it looks pretty clean...


I'm surprised the engine looks quite good inside and the oil sump didn't really have many metal shavings and neither did the oil when I drained it.


Only a small view of the crankshaft here, can't see the bearings but crank bearing caps look ok.


So next task is to pull the oil pump and have a closer look at that. If it's not the bearings then the only thing it could be is the oil pump. I really don't want to have to rebuild the engine again and if I have to do that I'm thinking I'll just go ahead and get another engine.

No comments:

Post a Comment