Monday 23 May 2016

Day 33 - Exhaust, Clutch, Cosmetics and Oil Pressure


So now after riding the bike to work a couple of time successfully without issue - it's time to focus on the little annoying things. First thing was the stupidly heavy clutch that was on there. Now this could be due to aftermarket stiffer springs in combination with the shorty levers, but instead I had an idea of just extending the clutch arm for more leverage. Whilst being careful to ensure that the clutch still engages fully enough to allow proper gear changes. I wanted something that I could revert to should the need arise so all I had to do for this one was grind off the little rivet holding in place the cable holder and then bolt on a piece of metal which I cut into shape with a couple of extra holes. This proved to make the clutch much lighter.


The next thing was the exhaust. I found the stock exhaust to be way too quite around busy traffic in central London so I've gone for a fuel slash exhaust which gives it a much louder and deeper tone.


The number plate has been reduced in size, and completion of the wheel rim strips. I then decide I'm going to take it for a 70 mile ride from London being it's longest trip yet.


The trip goes well - bike performed great however when I arrived at my destination I noticed that the Oil light was flickering on and off. This would only happen at idle and even if I revved the engine only slightly the flickering would immediately stop.


After some reading and research I've concluded this must be a faulty oil pressure switch. However to be sure I've got an oil pressure gauge on the way so I can make sure the oil pressure is according to specs. A replacement oil pressure switch is also on the way so I can replace that when it arrives. For now I'm going to wait until those bits arrive before I ride it again. It's probably fine to ride as it is but I want to be sure that oil pressure switch is faulty and I'm getting correct oil pressure when tested with the gauge.

I also noticed that on longer rides my backside does tend to get a bit on the sore side and the hornet never really had the most comfortable of seats so I may upgrade the seat and reupholster it with a built in air hawk.

For now though, it's looking and sounding great - a few minor rust spots to sort out and cosmetics to sort out, and I really want to sort out that tail light and replace it with a LED tail light. Those leds I wired up myself turned out to be not so great and not bright enough so I'm gonna find a better solution for that one.

No comments:

Post a Comment