Tuesday 5 July 2016

Inspecting the engine damage

So now time to get curious and see what damage I've done to this engine. I start by first removing the cylinder head which was pretty easy. I wanted to get a look at the top of the pistons and valves and see what damage has been done. After I removed the cams, you can instantly see something is not quite right as that valve bucket was stuck in the up position.


Remove the valve shim bucket, and you can see the cotter pins which secure the valve spring onto the top of the valve has been destroyed, so the piston must have been hitting that valve lots of times during those few seconds of engine destruction...


More cotter pins destroyed. I'll keep the valve shims though as they are useful for doing valve clearances on my new engine later on...


So I noticed all the valves don't move at all - all of them are really hard to push down and I work to try and get one of them free and this is the result. The valve stems are really badly bent. Surprisingly though the pistons don't appear to be damaged - it seemed it was the valves that took the brunt of the impact.



No comments:

Post a Comment