Tuesday 26 April 2016

Day 25 - Cylinder Head Reinstall


So now the valves have been sorted out, it's time to put the cylinder head back unto the engine along with the nice new cylinder head gasket that arrived in the post the other day.


Before doing this however I made sure that the engine is at Top Dead Centre, so that helps me get the valve timing perfect.


It's looking like a whole engine again! Just need to reinstall the cams, and get the timing right...


Just a thought, when I reinstall the camshafts I'm going to check the valve clearances to make sure they are within specs. But...before I do this I thought it would be wise to note down the shims that are already in there so I know which shims I need just incase the valve clearances need adjustment.


Camshafts all reinstalled, and time to check if I got the timing right...



That would be a NO! Oh well first time I wasn't expecting to get the timing perfect, but it looks like I need to shift each cam maybe one tooth counter clockwise to get it perfect.





Ok done! Cam timing has been sorted out, all I had to do was remove the intake cam, but left the exhaust cam in place and then I could move the chain over one notch, and then place the intake cam one notch counter clockwise and I turned the engine round manually a couple of times and it feels smooth (although tight) and it goes around nicely! I could even hear the hiss of the compression as it hits the exhaust stroke - it's looking good. I've also checked the valve clearances and thankfully they are all within specs - some are +/- 0.02 out but thats within tolerance according to the manual.


So now it's looking like a proper engine again. I think the next task now is to think about putting the engine back in the bike and then we can start refitting all the other components like the thermostat, water pump, radiator, and so on...



No comments:

Post a Comment